The "Ouch" Report...
We got our final travel dates on Monday...and it took until Tuesday to get finalized flights. With Carson's adoption, we had about 5 weeks after TA to prepare for travel and I did the arrangements myself. This time, we only have 2 weeks...TWO WEEKS!!!...and I just didn't want to leave anything to chance. So I contacted Sue Sorrels -- a travel agent who comes highly recommended in China adoption circles -- and asked her to do all the hard work. She was glad to do it.
Even with Sue searching for two solid days for better deals, we ended up paying DOUBLE for these flights over what we paid in October of 2007 for Carson's adoption. DOUBLE!!!!!! Stupid economy...
Ouch!
This morning, relieved that we have our flights booked and finalized, I was shocked that I woke up at 4AM and could NOT fall back asleep. My mind was racing with things to be done before travel. My dear sweet husband was snoring...but today is his birthday so I couldn't complain about THAT!...so I got up and accomplished a few goals. At 4AM.
Ouch!
As I headed to work at the College of Nursing...at 7:30AM, three-and-a-half hours after getting out of bed but still quite early...I called my Mom to chat. About halfway to work, I started having pain in my upper abdomen. Mom was giving me all kinds of motherly advice and, as I listened, the pain kept getting worse. And worse. I made it to work, crippled myself to the building dealing with TERRIBLE pain, and ended up falling to my knees in the elevator.
I felt like I needed an antacid to settle the pain in my abdomen...but I asked a few people and no one had anything. Then the pain hit me harder. Without giving all the gory details, let's suffice it to say they included me on the floor in the ladies' room, my dear co-workers finding a rickety old wheelchair in a closet and running me to the Emergency Department (Ann pushing the wheelchair, poor Jo carrying a garbage can in case I needed to throw up), and my sweet husband spending a few hours of his birthday in an Emergency Department while I underwent multiple tests.
Ouch!
The result of those tests? I have "several gallstones" and must have an emergency gallbladder removal. Before we leave for China. In FOURTEEN DAYS!!! Are you kidding me?!
OUCH!!
I see the surgeon tomorrow and will hopefully get scheduled for surgery on Friday or Monday. No, I'm not thrilled to have surgery...AGAIN (remember how I just had surgery on April 30th?!?!?!)...but I want to do this quickly so I have time to heal before we board that plane on July 29th.
O-U-C-H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Posted by Teresa =) at 9:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
So sorry that you're going through all of this, but think of the bright side . . . thank goodness that you got sick (and will get well) in the US before your trip and Molly will be in your arms in 2 weeks! :-)
Oh my!
Bless your heart, hope the recovery is quick and smooth...you need Molly home! Keep us posted.
OUCH!! is right! You best be glad they do a laparoscopic procedure now days. And -- I agree with Epin -- let's be VERY thankful this happened here and NOT in China! We will be praying for you.
Wow! I hope your surgery and recovery gets done smooth and quick. Can you imagine if that would've happened while you were in China?!? Yikes! All in God's timing, lol
Oh my Teresa. Not a way to begin your journey to Molly! I hope everything goes smoothly and you are well rested before getting on that plane!!
Are you kidding? Craziness. Maybe this is just so things won't seem crazy when you get back home with her. You can look back and laugh! Hey and I guess it helps when you already work at the hospital! You didn't have as far to go! :)
Bless your heart! (Sometimes my southern roots just can't think of anything better to say!) I will be praying for your quick and easy recovery. I am glad at least you were 2 weeks out here in the States - don't think you would want to do that in China.
We only had 6 days to buy our tickets, and at Christmas time. It was more than double for us what we had anticipated. We are still paying off our tickets!
Hang in there! It will all be worth it. (((((big hug)))))
OH MY WORD-girl I am praying for you!
Oh my goodness. I hope that you feel better. This will all seem like a blur once you have Miss Molly.
You just need to write a book! Only you, my dear, only you.
Wonder Twin...shape of Propofol and Demerol!
g
I am just don't know what to say. Gallbladder surgery is so much better than before.
Hugs and prayers.
Trish
yup, i remember those days! my surgeon told me NOT to travel to china to get grant (back in july 2007) unless i had my gallbladder out and then told me he could not do the surgery before we traveled so i couldn't go!
HA!
i told the silly fool i was going, gallbladder and all. he calmly closed my file on his lap and serenely said, "you were never here." heeheehee!
i made it to china, got grant, got some freaky kind of virus, got home, ended up in and out of hospital three times for the virus! got over it (6 weeks later) and then my gallbladder blew and i was right back in hospital! hahahahahaha!!!
still cracks me up!
do what they tell you. it's a smooth process now. very best of luck and fast recovery. you'll be on that plane before you know it!
ralph
Post a Comment