Saturday, August 8, 2009

Molly’s First Airplane Ride…

Friday afternoon, we happily said “Goodbye” to Zhengzhou. Molly seemed a bit concerned that we were packing up our belongings and taking everything with us, but she enjoys a good bus ride…

…so she was cooperative. As we arrived at the airport and started getting off the bus, our wonderful guide Yisha...
…laughed at Molly. She told me Molly kept saying, “Where are we? What are we doing here?” Gotta love a spunky kid who doesn’t just go along for the ride!
Our travel group was, of course, quite a spectacle at the Zhengzhou airport… …and a crowd formed just to watch us wait in line. Molly didn’t seem to mind the long wait in line, since she LOVES the stroller…

…and actually fell fast asleep. While theoretically, Molly sleeping in the airport seems optimal, we hadn’t gone through security yet. Luckily, when we had to get her out of the stroller at the security gate…
…she woke up in a very silly mood. In case you can’t tell, she is trying to wear Wa-Wa’s shirt on her arms in that second picture. What a goofball! When it was time to board the plane, Molly handled it like a pro…


…until it came time to put on her seatbelt.
She wore the seatbelt, but did this…
…to protest just how imprisoned she was by the seatbelt. What a hoot! She enjoyed the in-flight meal so much…
…that she attacked it with the fork AND the spoon!

In an attempt to connect with my baby girl, I used one of Meggie’s tricks…
…as we shared some tunes on my iPod. (She liked it but didn’t tolerate the ear piece for very long.) Thanks, Meggie…even across the world you are inspiring me from your awesome examples!

Molly did very well on the flight, playing quietly most of the two hours, but she did NOT enjoy the landing…
…and grabbed onto Daddy’s arm for security.
Oops! Guess she wanted that to be a secret just between us! Sorry, baby girl!

I know it’s odd to take photos in a public bathroom, but I thought you’d enjoy seeing how this smart (and very tiny) little girl washes her hands…
…when there is no stool available to make her tall enough to reach the water. She is not a bit afraid of heights or climbing…I’m thinking gymnastics classes will be in this girl’s very near future!

We met our guide, Jason, at the airport and boarded the bus for the 40 minute ride to the White Swan. Molly took it all in stride (and by the way sat with ME on the bus, by her choice!!) and, when we arrived in Room 923, she decided it was time to get settled…
…as she unpacked her carry-on…
…settled her babies in the chair…
…and did…her evening exercises?! Guess a girl’s gotta stay limber for all that sink climbing!

As you may have noticed in those last pictures of Molly, the hotel provided her a very tiny crib. Since we were so exhausted from traveling, none of us cared…she climbed in and fell fast asleep. However, she kept bonking her head and knees on the sides of the crib all night. So, this afternoon Jason arranged for her to get…
…a soft mattress bed. (And, honestly, it is MUCH softer than our king-sized bed. If I could fit in that little bed, I’d trade with her in a heartbeat!!)

Our experience in Zhengzhou was…well, an experience. Gotcha was awful, but Molly adjusted extremely well and very quickly. We were unable to visit the orphanage or speak to any of her caregivers, but perhaps that was God’s way of protecting Molly from having to re-open the wounds she experienced on Gotcha Day. She came to us with three bags of cookies and a box of markers – and nothing we had sent ahead in the multiple care packages. But we have to be consoled that at least the children still in the orphanage are enjoying the gifts we sent for Molly.

Even when things don’t work out the way we had hoped they would, Daddy and I remind each other that we are truly blessed to have added this spunky little firecracker to our crazy family!

Here are the closing pics for today…


…showing how all of our kids entertain themselves on airplanes.

Next up: our first day in Guangzhou!

6 comments:

Ash said...

Thanks for sharing, wow... the beds are still hard at the WS...
shucks, hoping it was softer by now.
ash
P.S.
you can ask for another "couple" of comforters; to sleep on top of.

epin said...

I love reading your posts; they are so funny and full of warmth. Congrats on being one step closer to home and reuniting your entire family.

Kristin said...

I just spent a long time getting caught up! School started so I am really behind.....:-(

So glad Molly has made a turn for the better. I knew she would! She seems like she fits in perfectly with Meggie and Carson!!

I love her smile....she just lights up the room, doesn't she?

Carrie said...

so glad to see Molly doing well with you guys and We are praying for ya still!

Donna said...

Even traveling around the world, adopting your 2nd from China, you're still the blogging queen. Molly is a doll...have I said that yet? Enjoy the WS, I'll be silently wishing I was there at breakfast with you! Have some french toast and think of me, k?

Lou Ellen said...

Oooh, yes! Breakfast at the WS! And don't forget the Barbie! We got 2 this last time! I tried to return one, but they wouldn't take it back.

Molly is adorable! Looks like she is getting along just fine.

Please tell Dong & Susan (Susan's Place) and Jordan that Doug and Lou Ellen said hello!

Have a great time! We look forward to seeing you all back home.