Tuesday, September 1, 2009

ANOTHER Stressful Day...

Today was probably, hands down, one of the most stressful days this household has seen in...well...umm...OK, it's always pretty stressful around here. (Who am I trying to kid?!) Anyway today was a big day for the ladies of this household.

I am required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) for my Master's program. The GRE is one of those tests that scares a whole lot of people. In fact, most of my Bachelor's-prepared colleagues at the College of Nursing are choosing their Master's programs based on who doesn't require the GRE for admission. Crazy me, I'm one of those people who actually WANTED to take the GRE to see if I could do well. Guess you could say I love an educational challenge.

I took a GRE prep class in the spring at a local University and got all the recommended study books. As I kept putting off studying, I decided that knowing me (which I do) if I didn't have a test date, I would keep procrastinating. So before leaving for China to get Molly I scheduled myself for September 1st at noon. Yes, moron that I am, I scheduled this all-important entrance exam for Graduate School for a whopping 18 days after returning from China with a new child. Oh well, we press on...

After sitting through the nearly three-hour computer test, I was a bit afraid I had blown it. Oh well...I can always say it was just too soon after coming home from China. The scores appeared...and I PASSED! There are three sections on the GRE: verbal, quantitative (aka math), and essay. I needed to get at least a 500 (on a scale of 200-800) on the verbal and quantitative. I got 610 on verbal and 630 on quantitative!! The two essays will be graded within the next two weeks, so I guess I technically could still blow that. However, writing is my strength and I felt very confident after the essay section, so I think I'm OK.

Whew...got through that.

Then it was Meggie's turn to be tested. Yes, folks, I scheduled her driver's test at 4:30PM on the same day I was taking the GRE. Where WAS my brain when I did that?!

No matter...we had plenty of time. I arrived home from the GRE test at 2:45PM and we left at 3:20PM to head to the BMV. Long story short...she PASSED!! Not only did she pass, but she passed with a flawless score on the driving and maneuverability portions! Way to go, Megster. So now I am the proud mother of a fully licensed teen driver.

AAACCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!

As soon as we got home from the BMV, Meggie immediately offered to pick up Chinese takeout for dinner. (Which is funny because she HATES Chinese food...) Hey, you go for it, girl!! So she happily ran out to her car...alone...and headed out on the mean streets without her Mommy to protect her.

Hey, at least her driving will bring me closer to God...I have a feeling I'll be praying a lot more now.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Way to go Meggie! Get ready to panic, Mom. It's hard to let them go but gets a tad bit easier as time passes. Just a little. :-)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your test Theresa! You are one busy woman! Tell Meggie congrats too. I have very much enjoyed reading your blog since we have been back from China. It is one of the few things that makes my work day go by a bit faster! Miss yall!
-Erin

leon said...

Congrats !!! to both you and Meggie (: Ya I do agree that test and exams are stress being a student myself.

But knowing the fact that GOD is only a prayer away brings me peace and joy to face it. (:

May you and your family draw strength from GOD alone (:

GOD bless!

Leon

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both of you!!

Carrie said...

Wow-you are way more busy then me! I thought with all the home schooling and working night shift for 40 hours and trying to get to China but then you went and added on some school for yourself! You go girl! Congrats to both you ladys!

Shari U said...

Four words for you: OVER ACHIEVER SUPER MOM.

I think I'd go absolutely nuts if I tried taking on half of what you've got going on!

We adopted our little girl from China at 10 months of age when we had kids of 16, 15 and 11. I'm a stay at home mom and I'm telling you, it nearly put me over the edge.

My daughter (above mentioned 16 year old) is now 21 and is working on her BSN. The program is really tough and I think it will probably be a very, very long time before she thinks about furthering her education!

I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I started reading shortly before you went to China this summer. Molly is a cutie pie and looks like she's fitting in nicely with the family. I hope she's getting more comfortable with daycare.

And, good job on the test!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on passing your test!! That is awesome!! Just think...Meggie can now help you get the kids everywhere they need to go!! I love reading your blog!! I love reading about Molly...she is just such a little cutie pie!! I will always remember her being so happy and just jabbering away in Chinese to you and Kevin while we were in China!!

Take care...Shauna

Bill and Midge said...

Congrats to you and Meggie. And trust me, once you get past the waiting for the phone to ring, praying like crazy she doesn't get into an accident stage, you will LOVE having another driver in the family. I loved your comment on our blog about Molly recognizing Michelle/Bing Qi. We have to keep that connection for them!