Monday, April 28, 2008

Just What I Need Right Now...

...more paperwork!

Julie, our social worker, visited tonight to do our 6-month follow-up visit on Carson's adoption. While she was here, we discussed pursuing a second adoption right away and went over the Medical Conditions Checklist (MCC) we filled out to submit to CCAI. The MCC lists the various categories of major and minor health problems we feel we are able to handle for this next adoption. At first, Julie seemed a bit skeptical that we were ready so soon. She smiled sweetly and perused the MCC closely.

But after an hour or so of talking to us and watching Carson in action (he was his typical charming self), she actually suggested that we submit a dossier right now for adoption #2. I reminded her that we can submit the MCC now, at the 6-month mark with Carson, but are required to wait 12 months to submit another dossier. She recommended I contact CCAI and try to convince them to let us go ahead right now. Yikes!

While I'm still finishing my Bachelor's degree (12 weeks to go!), my plan was to wait until after graduation and then start on our dossier documents. I'm not sure I could handle another paperchase right now. However, our home study from the first adoption expires on June 12th -- and there are certain documents that need to be renewed before that date or we'll have to pay for an entirely new home study for adoption #2 instead of just using the updated one from Carson's adoption.

What does this all mean? It means that, instead of lounging on the couch tonight watching TV after Julie left, I'm in the office making copies of documents that need to be mailed out TOMORROW and returned from various government offices quickly in order to beat that June 12th deadline. Long story short...I'm paperchasing right now.

Do you think God is laughing at me? After all, I had a plan...

7 comments:

bugs parents said...

I feel your pain! Although, it does seem a bit easier the second time around. Hope it all goes very smoothly for you.

Redmom2005 said...

Well, you know what they say....if you want to make God laugh, tell him YOUR plan!!

I'm so happy for you, but at the same time I know how you're feeling (overwhelmed) and I sympathize with you! But...get your butt in gear and get that paperwork done, sista!!! Your precious little daughter awaits you! :)

Erin

Rachel said...

Hello - I got your blog address off of CCAI's yahoo group. We brought our daughter Sept.'07. I think God always has different plans than we have for ourselves and thank goodness, because His plans are always way better! Congratulations on starting the paperchase (again!).

The Shoemakers said...

Ah, the Little Grasshopper has grown up - the "student" becomes the "teacher." You're so adoption-smart now. This is old hat for you, right? Ha, ha! Happy Paperchasing - I'll be praying for you ...
Sara

Donna said...

I think he's grinning for SURE! ;)

meggie (: said...

hooray for madre! (:
more paperwork on the way and more stress along the way.
oh, i'm a poet and didn't know it.
i rhyme all the time.
haha, okay i'm done.
ILOVEYOUMOMMMMMY<3

Carrie said...

wow you go girl!