Friday, September 5, 2008

We Have Been Keeping a VERY BIG Secret!!

We got "The Call"!!

On Tuesday, August 19th (while I was with Carson at his OT appointment), Pam from CCAI was trying to find me. She called my cell phone. She called our house. She left messages and eventually talked to Kevin. I was completely and utterly unaware.

At 5:01PM, as I was buckling Carson into his car seat, my cell phone (which I had left turned on in the minivan during the OT session) gave off that "you have a message" alert. Weird, I thought. If it is alerting me at 5:01 that I have a message, that message must have been left just a minute or two ago. The message had been left at 4:59.

I checked my voice mail, figuring it was Daddy checking on when we would be home from OT. I was wrong. The phone number on the message was a "303" area code. 303??!! That's CCAI!!!! The message was from Pam. Now, since we were still waiting on our homestudy to be approved by CCAI, I figured she had a question about that. However -- for those who know CCAI well -- Pam is the one who calls with referrals. Can't be, I thought. We haven't even turned in our dossier. But still...

I tried to stay calm and called the number back. Pam answered after five rings (I was afraid I was getting voice mail by then) and told me she had just talked to my husband, so she didn't need to talk to me. "Oh, OK," I responded, figuring it was a homestudy question. (Although how he answered it without my help was a bit puzzling...) She laughed and said something along the lines of, "No, I'm teasing. I wanted to know if you would like to look at the file of a darling little girl."

That is when my brain completely stopped working.

I repeated what she said, quizzically. In the back seat of the minivan, Meggie and her friend Lauren started screaming and jumping up and down. (Carson was more worried about getting his DVD started for the ride home and had no idea what was going on.) Pam laughed and confirmed I had heard her correctly.

My response? "Shut UP!!!!" (I can be so eloquent at times...)

Pam gave me some details and said she had already told Kevin about this little "honey bunny" -- a classic Pam phrase in referral phone calls, so I hear. She also told me she wanted to e-mail me the file. I nearly fainted. I was in my minivan with errands to run before taking Lauren home and driving the 45 minutes from Lauren's house to ours. It was going to be at LEAST two more hours until I could get home to see that e-mail.

Pam, are you trying to KILL me here??

She kept reminding me to drive safely, take my time, and we could call her tomorrow to let her know if she should put the file on hold for us (meaning no one else could look at the file until we released it). That didn't need to wait until tomorrow...I wanted that file locked RIGHT THEN!

I was afraid to ask, but had to know...why us? We haven't completed our dossier yet. Carson's adoption hasn't been finalized for a year yet (which is a CCAI requirement, to have a year between adoption and submission of another dossier). And there are SO MANY people ahead of us "in line." She said it had to do with the special needs and the age range we would accept -- our MCC was VERY inclusive and we requested a two- to four-year-old girl.

To say that I was in utter shock would be the understatement of the year. I kept it together (barely) while running my errands, then sat in stunned disbelief at Panera with the kids and Lauren's mom, Missy. I believe I may have consumed three spoonfuls total of my soup...Meggie and Carson ate the rest of my dinner. (Those who know me know that is NOT like me!) It just felt surreal.

When we got home, we bee-lined it to the computer. I pulled up the e-mail from Pam and tried to calmly read the text of her message. Who was I kidding? Gimme the good stuff!!

The first picture was her "mugshot"...
...then a picture with a friend (our baby girl is the one on the right in the hot pink coat)...
...a closeup of that shot...
...and "the clincher"...
Couldn't you just EAT HER UP??!!

Her Chinese name is Dang Yu Han...soon to be our Molly Jayne YuHan. (Now you know why we had the "great name debate" a few weeks ago...we were naming this adorable little girl!) She was born October 21st, 2004 (making her 3 years, 11 months old -- 13 months younger than Carson) and lives in foster care at the Luohe City Social Welfare Institute in Henan Province. Her special need is repaired meningocele and, based on her medical reports, the repair was a success and she is doing very well.

According to the reports (as well as things Pam told us on the phone), she's a spicy girl! She is very bright, loves school, and is a "charming little princess." If the other children misbehave in class, our Little Lady will scold them and then make sure the teacher knows they misbehaved...Carson had better look out! She is also reportedly very obedient to her foster mother and likes to help her do housework. (No complaints from Mommy on THAT one!)

Now the fun begins...

The evening of "The Call," Meggie got online and ordered a bunch of stuff for Molly's room...new comforter, pillows, curtains, etc. Since Molly will be four by the time we get her, she'll be in the big girl bed -- and all the bedding and accessories we have are for the crib!

Pam said we should travel 3-5 months after getting our dossier completed...I'm thinking that will put us in China sometime between February and April. Gulp!! There are so many details to be worked out...but, having just gone through the whirlwind of China adoption with Carson 10 months ago, I know that God will provide what we need and work those details out.

We received our pre-approval (PA) today, which means we are now free to spread the word about our Little Lady. Upon arriving home from work, I checked my e-mails and found a message from Deniece at CCAI...the subject was "Picture" and this is what it contained...
...oh my goodness, don't you just love it?! Deniece said this picture was taken by a staff member of CCAI and she believes it was in June of this year. That's a pretty current photo and totally made my weekend!!

We are truly blessed!!

27 comments:

bugs parents said...

Congratulations!!!! What an exciting phone call to get!

Miss Molly is just adorable. Too cute about her keeping the other kids in line. Carson had better watch himself.

Isn't if funny how different the second time is than the first? Get that paperwork to China - you have a sweety waiting for you!

Pam

Laurie said...

Now I am laughing and crying at the same time! :-) That last picture is priceless.

And Teresa - as someone who is "in line" - please don't feel guilty about the timing. She's your daughter. And I am over the moon delighted for all of you. :-)

Laurie

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh Teresa!! She is adorable! And I just realized that she and Carson are the same age difference apart as my Anna Grace and Abby. Abby's birthday is October 15 so our girls are very close in age. You will be in for some exciting, busy, stressful, loud times with the two little ones, let me tell you!! Boy will we have a lot to share once Molly Jayne is home. :-)

Redmom2005 said...

I love, love, LOVE the new picture of her in her pretty blue dress! Yes, I could just EAT HER UP!! And your classic response of "SHUT UP" is exactly what MY response would have been!! OMG!! I'm so excited for you!! I can't even imagine how HAPPY you must be right now!! That PA sure came quickly, didn't it?!!!!!! I can already picture Molly and Carson together! They are going to be too cute!! Make sure you post pictures of her room and all of her bedding...I'm dying to see what was picked out!!!! Molly Jayne!! What an adorable name! Goes right along with her adorable face!!! CONGRATULATIONS, BERTER FAMILY!!!

mjlswells said...

Wow! What amazing news! Congrats! Molly is adorable. Praying that your paperwork will come together quickly, smoothly, and painlessly.

Janis

Nina said...

Congrats on your referral. I saw your post on the CCAIWCP group. Your little girl is adorable! Regarding your BAD post, feel free to check out our blog: www.journeytochinaforgrace.blogspot.com

-Nina

Mary said...

OMGosh! She is stunning! Really stunning! Carson is going to just LOVE having a little sister, and Meggie must be beside herself with glee! It will be nice to have a 'little tattle tale' to keep everyone in line, and an extra pair of hands to help out Mommy (btw, I swear if we gave Livie a bottle of 409 and a papertowel the kid would clean the entire house! LOL)!
Now get that Dossier to China so that you can go and get your little Princess! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! She sure is a cute little thing!

ww said...

Congratulations!!! So happy for your family! Molly has a great smile and her personality sounds wonderful! Blessings, Wendy

Christy said...

I'm crying. People need surprises like this in life and you've let us all join in the fun. She's beautiful. And 13 mths in the perfect age range between her and Carson. I'm so just happy for all of you. BTW, LOVE LOVE her name. Fits in so well with Meggie's and Carson's.

Love,
Christy
mom to Mia (4), Ava (3) and Kai (2), adopted from china in 2205, 2006 and 2008

Ruth said...

Congratulations!!! How exciting!!

Ashley and Mike said...

She is absolutely dreamy! Congrats!

Ashley

demetrisfamily said...

CONGRATS! Molly is absolutely beautiful and I love the great pics. They really show the different sides to her personality and in your family of hams, I have no doubt that she'll fit in like a pea in a pod! Can't wait to follow your journey!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I am a fellow blogger and a CCAI family in waiting!! And while I don't usually comment on blogs...I had to write a note! She is truly AWESOME! I mean perfect in every way and beautiful with a sparkle in here eyes that says...trouble...and success...all in one glance!!!:) OH how much fun you are going to have with your little Molly! I will be following your journey and keeping you all in my prayers! Sincerely,

Renee in Florida

Anonymous said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!! Molly is beautiful, and I cannot wait for you to bring her home. And our girls are similar in age (Hana's birthday is only 3 days after Molly's). What great news.

The Browns said...

Oh my goodness! TERESA!!!!!

We are estatic for you. Ah. A China daughter...and an almost four year old China daughter. Sigh. What precious gifts from God.

How quickly this did happen...oh my! God is faithful to provide all in the absolute Best timing. AFterall, it's HIS timing!

Carson and Meggie are gonna be the best siblings, I just know it!

Congratulations and keep us "posted".....love to read of your advetures.

Love, Tammy

wingepr said...

OH Teresa, she is beautiful!!! I am so happy for you.

Peggy

Kim said...

Molly is just beautiful!! Congratulations!! And a big congrats to Meggie too! She has been waiting for this sweet little sister! I can't wait to see her in your arms. Love, Kim

Chris P-M said...

Congrats...Molly is adorable! What awesome photos :). Welcome to our adoptzhengzhou group! You'll learn a lot from the other Luohe families. It is a great group!

Chris

Carrie said...

Amen and congrats!

Kim said...

Just saw your FCC email and checked out you blog. Congratulations!! Molly is adorable. Kim

Emily said...

yeah!!!!!!!!!!! she's a beauty!! we'll be in zhengzhou right before you- we'll also try to visit Luohe when we go-- i'll bring anything you wnat and take tons of pics for you!!!! congrats!

emily

Denise Grover Swank said...

She is absolutely beautiful!!! I am so happy for you!!!!

I know what you mean about feeling guilty getting a referral with so many people ahead of you on the list. I never even made it ON the list!!! But finally I realized that if there had been someone on the list open to a boy with CL/CP they would have received a call. I didn't get ahead of anyone at all.

How quickly do you think you will be LID???

Denise
http://theresalwaysroomforonemore.blogspot.com

The Veggie Vet Tec said...

I was wondering when you were going to post pictures of your cute little girl! I LOVE THE NEW PICTURE!!!!! HOW CUTE!! See you tomorrow.

Chelsie

Donna said...

TERESA!!!!! I had NO idea that you posted this until I came across a post in my digest of CCAIWC! Congrats!! I'm so thrilled beyond thrilled for you, and she is a doll...LOVE that smile! You are blessed! I'm betting you're going crazy to get that dossier finished now!?!?

The Shoemakers said...

Good golly, Miss Molly! T, she is absolutely an adorable child. And, of course, she's the perfect new little Berter. Congratulations to you all. I'm so excited that you have your daughter within your sights now. And, don't worry about "the line." Molly was selected to be in your family long, long ago and God decided now was the right time. Has He ever been wrong? :) Now you are inspiring me!! (Nope, not to do anything crazy like adopt again ...) I promise to keep better tabs on your blog. Do you need anymore B.A.D. enablers? That was so freakin' funny! Your daughter (the older one) is such a trip!

Talk to ya soon,
Sara

Trish said...

She is adorable.We are so happy for you guys. Molly is a lucky little girl to have such fabulous parents, a wonderful big sister, and an incredible sweet big brother.

We cannot wait to follow the journey!
The Kry Family