Monday, October 6, 2008

Fun, Fun, and More Fun!

Since I've finished my Bachelor's degree, only work part-time, and both of my kids are in school full-time, I've resolved to reduce my stress by having more fun. Thankfully, my friends and family agree that I need more fun in my life...they're keeping me busy!

Last Wednesday, Chelsie, Lou Ellen and I had another Girls' Night Out. We have created a sort of Moms-of-boys-from-China mini support group after seeing that the Chinese children at our local FCC events are about 98% female. We get our boys together for play dates (of course, their sisters are invited), but decided the Moms need some fun too. So, once every month or two, we block a night just for us and have dinner.

I totally admire these two ladies for their amazing spirits and their dedication to their kids. Lou Ellen and her husband, Doug, have grown bio children, six grandchildren (soon to be seven), have adopted Elliana and Wesley, and are waiting for LOA to go back to China to adopt Delilah! Lou Ellen is hysterical and keeps us in stitches most of the time we're together.

Chelsie is Max's Mom and is the adventurous one of the group. She is quite a bit younger than Lou Ellen and I, but you wouldn't know it by talking to her. She has traveled the world (even before heading to China with Alan to adopt Max) and is bound and determined to get me "out of my bubble."

It was Chelsie's turn to pick the restaurant. She chose Vietnamese food. OK. Never had that before. Certainly "out of my bubble." Sure, I'll try it.

Here is what I looked like as I took my first fork full of my main course...
...but after having tried the Vietnamese spring rolls during the appetizer course, my real reaction to trying anything at this restaurant was best depicted in THIS picture!
Remember, Chelsie is adventurous. She ordered the spring rolls because she truly thought I would like them. I guess I was envisioning Chinese spring rolls -- you know, deep fried and yummy. No, folks, Vietnamese spring rolls come rolled in "rice paper" -- at least that's what the lovely woman who brought them to the table told me...
...does that look deep fried and yummy to you?? That "rice paper" was see-through and had the consistency of a...well...a balloon!! Blecchh...I had the feeling that I had a balloon stuck in my throat for hours after eating one of those spring rolls. Thanks for the adventure, Chelsie. (Hope I get to choose the restaurant next time...)

Saturday night, I got the great idea to combine Carson's favorite things -- being outside, eating "marsh-ellows" by the fire, and watching a movie. We had family movie night (watching "The Incredibles" on the laptop) out on the back patio while eating s'mores and marsh-ellows! It was so much fun!!
The snuggling was the BEST part! Aren't they adorable??
Today, my friend Sarah invited Carson to join her kids for some professional Halloween pictures. For Halloween this year, her two boys and Carson have sort of a theme going. See if you can figure it out:
Yep, they are all going to be superheroes! Selleck is Superman, Carson is Batman, and Slade is Batman's sidekick, Robin (without the mask, which he refused to wear). Isn't that picture adorable?! Of course, organizing these three active dudes for a picture was sort of like trying to shove three cats into a slippery bag. Challenging doesn't BEGIN to define it! But it was fun...and funny...and I'm so glad Sarah invited us along!

Tomorrow evening, my friend Gina and I are going to see Anita Renfroe in concert. Don't know who that is? She is the comedian who performed The Mom Song -- of everything a mom says to her kids in a 24 hour period -- to the tune of the William Tell Overture. If you've never heard it, follow the link I provided...it is HYSTERICAL!!

Whew...I'm exhausted just TYPING how busy I've been having fun! This is so much better than typing papers and doing research...

8 comments:

The Veggie Vet Tec said...

YOUR GONNA LOVE ANITA!!!!! I wish I could go with you guys, cause I have seen her in person, and know just how funny she is.....

You will have a new saying after your done seeing her
"It must be my thyroid!!"

Yep. Thats my excuse!
Chelsie

....So.... Balloons hu?? I thought you said they tasted like some other rubber product...... :-)

Teresa =) said...

Hey, hey, hey...this is a FAMILY-FRIENDLY blog.

Behave, girlfriend!!

Teresa =)

Kristin said...

What a great family night! We need to try that too!!!

Denise Grover Swank said...

Wow! You've been a busy girl! And having fun too! Good for you. I need to take your advice!

Denise Grover Swank said...

I meant to comment on your VN food experience but it fell through the cracks of my sick child addled brain.

I lived in Vietnam for 7 weeks last year and I was the only person I know that goes there and GAINS weight. I tried it, some was good, some was really good, but none of it liked me. Everytime I ate it i was in the bathroom an hour or two later. So I lived on Western food and room service, although their KFC did the very same thing. I decided it was the grease.

In hindsight, I should have kept eating the VN food. Look at all the weight I would have lost!

Carrie said...

I was so going to say the other rubber thing but thought it would be to bad to say-that is so funny! I love the halloween pic's they are so cute!

Redmom2005 said...

I LOVE THE MOM SONG!!! That is soooo funny! Funny, but oddly enough soooo true!!! Thanks for the much needed laugh!!
:)

Redmom2005 said...

And, one more thing....I happen to be a BLANKET FANATIC!! Where does Meggie get all of those cool tied-off blankets?!! I love this Halloween-looking one, but my favorite was the one she was laying on the back deck with (after that horrible wind storm you had not too long ago)! I want one!!!!!!!