Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Don't Care What They Say...

...it pays to be cute in this world!

We had our weekly "China food" outing tonight with Carson. We have been going to a really nice (and pricey) China buffet the past few weeks, but tonight we headed back to our neighborhood spot. The woman who works the register (who Carson calls his "girl-fwend") always treats him to extra cookies, free of charge. Well, tonight, she went over the top!

I got to the restaurant first and ordered our food. They brought out the food just as the boys were crossing the parking lot. When Carson walked in and saw Daddy's food, he yelled out, "Chicken nuggets!" I told him they weren't chicken nuggets, it was Daddy's dinner. He then happily sat down for a feast of chicken lo mein (or "noodas" -- noodles -- as he calls it).

A few minutes later, Carson's "girl-fwend" brought over a small bowl full of chicken nuggets and a bowl of sweet and sour sauce. No charge. On the house. We were duly appreciative, and I figured we'd just leave a big tip to make up for the free food.

This is when things went out of control.

There is a Starbucks type coffee place right next door to this restaurant. One of the employees went to the coffee place and came back with two drinks. I figured they were for the workers. Nope. Carson's "girl-fwend" brought one of them over -- a medium-sized caramel frappucino -- and gave it to Carson. I was a bit taken aback. I said, "Is that coffee?" She said, "No, a cooler." (I happen to know that they call their frappucinos "Coffee Coolers" at this coffee place.) I asked if she had bought that for Carson...she said, "No," giggled, and walked away.

Are you kidding me?!

First of all, who gives a 5 year old COFFEE?!?! And if I WERE to give a 5 year old coffee, it wouldn't be from a place that charges $5 for it!! Not to mention the jolt of caffeine she offered our Little Wild Man just two short hours before bedtime. Jeez, lady!!

Carson spent the rest of dinner trying to convince me that he likes coffee. Yeah. Nice try, Little Man, but we took the frappucino home and nicely donated it to...me!! (Hey, it WAS a $5 coffee. You didn't think I was going to throw it away, did you?!?!)

And we wonder why Carson gets so excited to go for China food. He has figured out that his charms, his adorable face, and his "girl-fwend" combine to make every trip to this restaurant a "win-win" situation for him! I'm almost afraid to go back there...it's getting a bit embarrassing accepting all her freebies! (Especially when the restaurant is full of people and the others are offered nothing as "girl-fwend" keeps returning to our table with free stuff!)
Yeah (as this year's Preschool picture shows) you are a smooth ladies' man, Carson!

In Molly news, I have been anxiously following a blog called Bringing Home Michelle. Bill and Midge are in Luohe adopting Michelle...who we found out today is Molly's foster sister! That is awesome to know and we will do our best to maintain that "sister" connection when both girls are safe and sound at home in the States. The bad news? They visited the orphanage and the foster home today and Molly wasn't there. She was on an outing with her foster aunt. While I would give ANYTHING for new pictures of Molly, it does make me happy that she isn't always stuck in the orphanage or the foster home. You should read today's post on Bill and Midge's blog...the visit to the foster home was QUITE interesting!

I set up my office today at the College of Nursing...I'm such a dork, but it really is fun to have a space to call my own at work! Meggie is DYING to see my office, so I promised her I'd take my camera to work tomorrow and take pics...and, of course, I'll post 'em here.

Can you believe we only have a week 'til Christmas?! So much left to do...I'd better get off of here!!

6 comments:

Lou Ellen said...

How wonderful that you have some information already about the foster family! It sounds like you will get to meet the foster family after you get Molly. What a treat!

As for the Little Man getting all that extra attention -- it is nice, but...... we have had some of the same with Wesley. Unfortunately, a lot of the waitresses want to lavish attention on our Little Emperor! It is hard for the Little Princess. So, just be on the lookout when Molly gets home.

I know the holidays are busy, but when are we all getting together for our Girls Night Out? Maybe we can plan something for January.

Denise Grover Swank said...

Congratulations on the new office and congratulations on WINNING THE FIFTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS!!!

Send me your address so I can send you your digital picture frame!

Redmom2005 said...

Sorry you didn't get new pictures of Molly...I know you must be bummin!! That coffee story made me laugh! When we adopted our son Austin from Russia, they actually DID give the kids coffee there every night before bed!! Seriously! The nannies would give the kids coffee in little tiny cups, with cookies of course! They also gave him COKE and lots of it! We had an awful time trying to break him of these addictions when he came home!! Foreigners!! What are you gonna do with them?! Oh, you KNOW that I'm just joking (I hope others reading your blog have a sense of humor)! It just reminded me of a funny story...Wyatt who is 5 (Haley's foster brother) referred to his new adoptive parents as "the old foreigners"!! That cracks me up every time I think about it!! Okay...I'm done ranting!! Hugs!! And, best wishes for a very Merry Christmas to you all!!

Sarah Burggraf said...

Too funny! Yes, I agree that Carson and coffee would probably not be a good combination. I'm surprised you can drink it so close to bed time! I'd be up all night!

RamblingMother said...

you go carson!!

The Veggie Vet Tec said...

TO CUTE!! and FUNNY!! Congrats by the way on the weight loss so far!!!! I'm starting a blog dedicated to my weight loss. Hopefully it will keep me motivated!

Chelsie

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!