The Good News...The Bad News...and the Plan...
First, we'll start with the good news. I've won another blog award! My dear cyber-friend, Denise, from There's Always Room for One More has informed me that we (along with a few other bloggers) won an award at Sunday's Bloggy Awards. (Between you and me...I'm pretty sure the Bloggy Awards are just an imaginary event that poor Denise made up, but she has six kids and is probably pretty sleep-deprived, so just cut her some slack. OK?) The award I got -- which was presented, by the way, by this hot guy...
...Josh Holloway (aka Sawyer from Lost) who was probably shirtless at the awards -- is called the Life is Grand Award. Not exactly sure how I qualified (what, with all my whining and such on this blog), but as you all know I'm always willing to accept an award! Here is a picture of my major award. Don't get too close and touch it...I don't want it all smudgy...
HAHAHA!! I crack myself up!! That was just a joke...and a reference that my husband and I always find hysterical ("It's an award...a MAJOR award!") If you've never seen "The Christmas Story," you're probably lost about now...
Anyway, here is the REAL award for my blog:
Pretty snazzy, huh?! I'll be adding it to my Awards Corner as soon as I post this.
OK, that was the good.
Now for the bad. My MRI showed that I have two protruding discs in my cervical spine (C5 and C6) which are causing "a mild spinal cord flattening deformity." That finding explains my symptoms down my right arm. In addition -- as if that weren't enough -- I have a "right paracentral active annular tear"! I don't even know what that MEANS!
My new chiropractor (who is no Dr. Smackdown, but I REALLY like him) described it this way: the annular tissue surrounds the disc and, when it is torn, then the disc and other contents within that area can leak out into the spinal cord area. He said it is not the best finding and it typically requires surgical repair. He also said that it doesn't happen easily and because it is described as an "active annular tear," that means it is recent and must have been the result of a whiplash injury in a car accident. That makes great sense...except I haven't been in a car accident in four years! While how it got there makes no sense, it is torn and I am in pain because of it.
So, the plan...
I'm going to physical therapy and getting horrifically painful therapeutic massages twice a week for the next three weeks, then if I'm not getting any better I'll be referred to a pain management specialist for possible epidural injections. (Doesn't that sound FUN?!?!) The last resort will be a referral to a surgeon.
I say we skip the epidural injections and don't even meet a surgeon and we attack this with the four P's:
1. Physical therapy
2. Painful therapeutic massages
3. Positive thinking
4. Prayer
I'll handle the first two on my own. Wanna help me out with the last two??
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Posted by Teresa =) at 6:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
Okay, I'll be glad to pray but I think the positive thinking has to come from you, too! Sounds like fun, yuk!
Are you sure the techs did axial T2 flairs and SPGR's?? What about 3D reformatting? (you know I love "tech talk")!
I'm thinking the dreaded "whiplash injury" may have come from your beloved niece's "nose smash" incident. Perhaps the pain was so intense, you didn't realize you moved your head out of the way quickly. (Hey, just a thought!)
Now you know if you need ANY kind of medicinal injections, I will be MORE than happy to volunteer to give them to you. Just doing my job as a friend.(Maybe some of your students would volunteer!)
Love ya, W.T.
g
OUCH!! That just stinks lady! Does this mean DH is bringing you breakfast in bed?? I sure hope your 4P plan works. And you thought you were done with Physical Therapy!! Feel better soon, and go to China already and get that girl!
Miss you guys lots!
Chelsie, Alan, and of course Max
OMG, Gina, you're RIGHT!! My doctor said that it was a fresh tear and I completely forgot about Sophia's head butt. That is exactly what happened! (Can't wait to tell him tomorrow when I have PT...)
No thanks on the injections, BTW...and I wouldn't let my students touch me with a ten-foot pole, let alone a needle!! YIKES!
I'm fairly certain the tech did all the axial T2 flairs and SPGRs I could handle...I had to medicate myself with Flexeril in order to tolerate the MRI and overcome my insane claustrophobia. Made for a REALLY nice nap afterwards, though! (Yes, my husband drove me to and from the MRI.)
Teresa =)
I'll speak for Sophie and say she is SOOO sorry Aunt Teresa. I'm going to buy you a helmet to wear when playing with my kids.
Poor little Sophie will grow up with a terrible complex from the guilt she will be forced to carry around with her for the rest of her life. You keep head bangin' little girl!
Oh, and you are so right, Josh WAS shirtless, I guess I forgot to mention it in all the excitement!
Oh, I got so excited over Josh that I forgot to finish my comment. Is it just me, or is it hot in here???
Girl, you know I'll be praying for you and sending lots of positive thoughts your way!
Ouch! I'll say a pray and think positve for you.
Sorry you are in such pain. Hope it gets better real soon.
You got it, girl...I've got your back on this one. hehe...
seriously, sorry about this new development. Hoping that you can avoid the S word :)
Saying prayers for you. I agree with your plan of action. Try to be good too. No lifting patients even if you feel the need to show the students the right way of doing it. You will have to give verbal directions.
Trish
Just catching up with you... Sorry to hear about your back! Noticed that you are coming to Orlando! If you need any tips, let me know if I can help in any way. Plus, if you have time I'd love the chance to meet you in person.
Janis
OUCH, so sorry! Praying for a quick and miraculous recovery!!!
Post a Comment