A Car for the Original Princess...
I keep referring to Molly as our Princess, but yesterday reminded us that Meggie really has always been our Princess as well. She was the Original Princess. And the Original Princess is now the proud owner of a used car!
For those of you who think we are spoiling the Teenager, I really feel I must defend this purchase. Meggie is barely 5 feet tall. She is a full head shorter than most of her friends. She was excited to drive...until she got behind the wheel of my minivan. She just never felt like she was in complete control of that big vehicle...and she began to have frightening panic attacks while driving.
When I learned how to drive, my parents had a full-size van and I was forced to drive it. I distinctly remember feeling the way Meggie described her fear...that I wasn't in control of that huge vehicle and it just wasn't worth it to drive if that was the vehicle of choice. Thankfully, my parents were able to buy me a crappy little two-door AMC Hornet and I was spared the dreaded big brown van.
We began discussing a possible car purchase and told Meggie we would go look Friday after school. I, however -- being the amazing and wonderful Mommy that I am -- spent four-and-a-half hours of my Friday at the used car dealership doing all the leg work ahead of time. By the time we drove up to the dealership Friday evening, the car was already picked out, financing had already been handled, and I had already signed my part of the documents.
Chris, our salesman, came up to us as if we were complete strangers...even though he and I had spent MANY hours together earlier that day. We did the introductions and he walked us around the lot as if we were seeing these cars for the first time. When we approached Meggie's car -- a 2006 Hyundai Accent -- she noted that it had a big red bow on it. She said, "Oh, that's cute." Chris told her he had just gotten it in and it was a pretty good car. I asked her if she liked it. She said she did. I said, "Good, 'cause it's yours" and handed her the key.
She flipped out! And, no, I don't have pictures because I FORGOT THE STINKIN' CAMERA!!!!! Ugghhh...
By the time we got home, it was too dark to get decent pictures. I did try......and the goofball -- I mean Carson tried to jump into the shot. Fine, Carson, I'll take your picture.
OK, that's just weird. What a silly kid! Carson just HAD to be in a pic with Meggie...
...but then I asked for one of Meggie all by herself.
Woah, never mind. That was just way too close and, frankly, a bit disturbing. My Dad taught me how to drive, so that seems like a normal "Dad" job. Here is why Daddy's not teaching the Megster...
...'cause he tends to overreact! Actually, that was posed, but a true re-enactment of what WOULD happen if Meggie drove anywhere with her Dad.
When we went back inside after the silly photo session, Carson realized I had not eaten all of my boneless chicken wings. (It's a Friday night tradition...we get wings and then have our movie night.) I do not believe in the clean-plate-club and have actually lost a lot of my weight by portion controlling and leaving food in the plate at meals. Carson wouldn't HEAR of it! He force fed me that wing......and we both laughed so hard I nearly choked!
This afternoon, we decided it was time to take our first ride in the Accent......yikes, it really is very weird to see my baby girl...I mean my Teenager behind the wheel of a car! This is starting to make me feel old!
Meggie keeps telling everyone who will listen that she just doesn't like to drive. Well, after two-and-a-half hours of errand running today in all different kinds of traffic situations, she has changed her mind. She did very well and has decided driving can be fun...and the independence she'll gain from getting her license in June will be TOTALLY worth it!
Looking forward to many, many more errand-running trips with my Teenager. I just don't know how we'll afford all this shopping...
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Posted by Teresa =) at 9:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
My parents bought me my first car and I turned out fine! You did a good thing, Teresa :)
I bought my boys cars when they started driving. I don't think she's spoiled. I had to buy my own car when I turned 16 and it was a piece of junk that constantly broke down. Besides, once the boys got cars I "owned" them and their driving. If I needed them to run their sister somewhere, they had to do it. But i did tell them that they only got one car. If they totaled it and it was their fault, they were on their own.
I'm glad that Meggie likes driving now. Maybe you can drive from Gatlinburg to Franklin. However, its about a 3 hour drive if I remember right. And it totally stinks!
Congratulations on your new car Meggie! How excited and special she must have felt! That was a great idea to have already picked the car out and purchased it ahead of time. You really got to enjoy and savor the moment of her being surprised!
How exciting for her! I'm only a couple of inches taller than your daughter and I think my minivan feels huge even though I've been driving for...well, a lot of years! I can imagine how she felt in your car.
That was very sweet the way you had the whole outing planned and the car bought beforehand.
Congrats, Meggie!!! Teresa, you are totally NOT spoiling her... you're keeping her safe! I am sooo glad I have several more years till my kids start driving. Not ready for that yet! :o)
You're awesome parents!
Oh no! Now we have to block your blog from our computer because our teens actually read your blog sometimes. Ha! Just kidding. Congratulations Meggie - I hope we can do the same soon for our daughter and son!
YEA!!! Congrats to Meggie on her first car.
I think you are a great mommy!
I got my first car when I was 16! It was Dodge Daytona. Loved it!
My brother was so mad because he had to pay for his car and I didn't!
Way to go Meggie!!! They fell for it! And they could have just sprung for a phone book. My Mother-in-Law has a Hynduai Accent and loves it! Much cooler than a mini-van.
gina
Wow, am I ever behind in my blog reading. I missed this post completely. Good thing you linked from Meggie's blog!!
We bought Katie a used car too when she turned 16. I knew we'd need the extra vehicle. I can't just give up my car whenever she needs to go to work, school events, etc. It's a USED car though-----1998. But hey, I had nothing when I was 16. Better than nothing, huh?
Post a Comment