Monday, April 20, 2009

I Am NOT Like Kate Gosselin!

On Easter Sunday, the conversation somehow turned to the show "Jon and Kate Plus 8." I, personally, hate that show. I find it painful to watch the interactions between Kate and Jon and to watch their children endlessly cry and whine. What exactly is entertaining about watching a family unravel on a daily basis due to too many people in the house and not enough hours in the day?! Meggie, however, LOVES that show. Heck, she even DVRs it!

My husband's Aunt Edna -- whom I have always loved dearly -- joined the conversation about the show and stated that Kate reminds her of me. WHAT?!?!? I think not! (By the way, my sister-in-law Beth vehemently agreed with Aunt Edna.) Yes, I am anal retentive and organized. Yes, I tend to have a somewhat short fuse with my husband (when he deserves it). But, no, I am NOT the crazy control freak that defines Kate Gosselin. And, no, my children don't walk around crying and whining from the utter misery of it all. And, no, I don't expect free vacations just because I have a bunch of kids. (Why does the world feel they have to throw gifts at people just because they can't control their own fertility?!)

So, Aunt Edna, while I have always loved you dearly, you are now on my short list...and Beth is joining you, by the way. It's gonna take a while for me to get over the hurt of that comparison.

I will say, though, that the gift Aunt Edna gave me on Easter Sunday put her on the road to being back in my good graces. Aunt Edna is a very talented artist. In the past, she has painted pictures for Meggie...
...and for Carson.
Not wanting Molly to feel left out, Aunt Edna painted this for Molly.
Isn't that adorable?! Her inspiration for this picture was a thank you note she had received from a friend. She altered the idea to give the fairy dark hair and Asian features so Molly would be able to see herself in the picture. I think it's PERFECT!

All right, Aunt Edna, you are a gifted artist with a generous heart. (And you DID suggest the blind date that set me up with Kevin, so that gives you automatic points in my book.) However, you need to look elsewhere on TV for comparisons to me. I'd be a lot less insulted if you compared me to this TV mom...
...hey, at least she's funny!!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

ROFLOL! you are not Kate-that lady is so rude to her husband. I would be divorsed in two seconds If I talked to my husband like that- I watched one or two shows while at the gym-we don't have cable and said I would never watch again!

Sarah Burggraf said...

I would personally much rather be compared to Kate Gosselyn than Roseanne!!! ??? Do you think your aunt meant the comparison as an insult? I don't think I would have taken it as one.

Teresa =) said...

Sarah -

Are you KIDDING me?! (Well, I guess I meant Roseanne the TV character not Roseanne the real life crazy person.) Yes, I do think Kevin's aunt was a little bit insulting me...but she has the sweetest English accent, so it really is hard to tell.

Teresa =)

Denise Grover Swank said...

Hahahaha! Kate Gosselin. Now I've afraid to meet you! LOL

Amy said...

I am a lurker on your blog, but had to laugh at this post!! I used to like the show, but now I can't stand Kate. I still watch just because I find it interesting to see her in her new 1.3 million dollar home!! I discovered this website http://gosselinswithoutpity.blogspot.com/. This is a whole website devoted to people that can't stand Kate!! Some people really do have too much time on their hands!!

BTW - I think you are a wonderful mother and I really do enjoy your blog!!