Monday, June 29, 2009

Carson Talks About China...

The other morning, the kids and I were having chocolate chip pancakes (a rare treat in our house) and I asked Carson if he ever had pancakes in China. Surprisingly, that question prompted a conversation where he shared quite a few memories of his time in China. Meggie and I loved hearing him tell the stories!

First off, no, he did not have pancakes in China. What did they eat for breakfast? "Noodles." He also told us that he had to drink from a baby bottle in China...and apparently he didn't like it. "I'm not a baby, I don't need a baby bottle!" he told us. I suggested he maybe needed a Transformers cup (like the one he was drinking his milk from at the time). He said, "We not have big boy cups, just baby bottles. But they make the hole bigger."

When prompted for more memories, he remembered having shoes that were too small. He said they were black and had straps (he made the Velcro-opening sound when he tried to show us how the straps opened) that wouldn't stay closed because the shoes were too small on him. Poor little guy...no wonder he loves being barefoot!

He also remembered having to "sleep backwards" at nap time. When I asked him what that meant, he leaned back in his chair...showing that they had to sleep on their backs. He also added, "Molly has to sleep backwards, too." Since having a flat head in back is very common in Chinese culture, that information was not surprising. Interestingly, Carson NEVER sleeps on his back now.

When asked if his bed was comfortable in China, he said, "No, my bed in China was hard, not comfortable. My bed here is comfortable!"

The last question we asked was if there was anyone he knew in China that he misses now. His answer...Molly. (No, he didn't know her in China.) While that last question clearly wasn't a memory, it was still pretty cool that he was able to remember and share so many things about his life in China! What a great breakfast conversation!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a terrific story. I'm wondering if he remembers enough Mandarin to talk with Molly. What a class A kid you got there. (oh, Meggie's good, too!)
g

Kristin said...

How cool that he has these memories and can share them!!

Emily said...

theresa-- i love how much money you've raised for your trip-- and the fun things you're giving way-- i would LOVE to have someone like you help fundraise for Henan Kids intl-- would you be interested (once you get back?)

Unknown said...

thanks for that story. we are waiting to pick up our 20 month boy in china and we've been waiting on our TA forever! I've been anxious every week that ticks by (the whole "bonding" scare). When I read your blog, I throw out all the "scary stories about "older children not doing as well." I am trusting God with this, but when you listen to the professionals they can scare the pants off 'ya. So I read your blog for a dose of reality. Thanks, Teresa.

Teresa =) said...

Emily - I don't feel particularly good at fundraising, but I'm always willing to help a good cause.

Elizabeth - I'm glad my blog helps ease your mind. Remember, God gives us what we can handle...you'll be fine!

Teresa =)