Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Just My Luck!

I know I owe you a post about my sister's wedding (it was beautiful, by the way, and Carson did a fabulous job as her ring bearer). However, this was just too crazy not to share.

Remember the scar from my neck surgery about a month ago...
...well, my sister Debbie is an amateur makeup artist and she was able to cover the scar amazingly well for the wedding. Take a look:
Trust me, without her awesome makeup job, you would have easily seen my scar in that shot. With Debbie's help, it was virtually invisible!

Yesterday (three days after the wedding), I noticed that my scar started looking kinda bad...a bit redder, more swelling...so I asked a few co-workers what they thought. They thought I should call the surgeon's office. I did, they got me right in (thankfully, the office is literally across the parking lot on the same campus as the College where I teach and I called them from my office), and it was discovered that my scar is infected! Since I haven't been running fevers, they didn't order any oral antibiotics for me yet...I'm just using triple antibiotic ointment on it and already seeing results. After taking a history from me, the nurse practitioner deduced that I got the infection from...the amazing makeup job my sister provided on Saturday!!

Since Debbie's daughter did the initial damage that required the surgery, now Debbie has helped me get my scar infected, I wondered if perhaps her husband would like to come over and kick me in the shins or something. Man, hanging around Debbie and her family has become hazardous to my health!

Just kidding, Pookie! You know I love all of you!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know better than to put make-up on a fresh incision. 30 lashes with a wet noddle for you. Bad nursing instructor!

BTW my hysterectomy incision got infected becuse I didn't want to wear granny panties and my regular, cuter underwear rubbed right across one of the incisions all the time. Now I am hitting myself with the wet noddle.
Trish

Denise Grover Swank said...

Ah, the pain and suffering we go through to look good. At least you caught it early!

Nicole said...

Oh dear... glad you are doing ok. Hang in there!!!!