We’re in Zhengzhou!
Our flight to Zhengzhou this morning went very well…no waiting, no turbulence, no issues. Yeah! We arrived right on time and met our guide for this part of the trip, Yisha. While Sindy was sweet and bubbly and a bit disorganized, Yisha is no-nonsense, serious, and efficient. I’m not saying she isn’t sweet and bubbly – she may very well be – but her manner on the bus to the hotel was a stark opposite to what we’ve had the past few days. We all knew she meant business and that we were expected to pay attention!
We arrived at the Crowne Plaza…wow, what a hotel! Take a look at the lobby…
This beautiful hotel also has a cute playroom (for rainy days)…
…and an awesome indoor pool…
I told Yisha I “knew” Emily…a fellow adoptive mom who had wonderful things to say about her. (By “knew,” I mean we’re Internet friends but have actually never met.) Yisha not only knew Emily and her family, she immediately knew who I was and asked about Qiu Feng. Qiu Feng?! That’s Carson’s Chinese name!! Apparently, she lives in Hefei and used to be the guide there before the Henan Province started doing international adoptions and she got moved to work here. She said she spent a lot of time checking on the kids at the Hefei orphanage when she worked there.
How did she know we were Carson’s family?! I have no idea, but it was so cool to talk about him with someone who knew him before we did. When she saw our family picture (it’s in the side bar of the blog near the top), she was blown away by how much Carson has changed. (Well, technically, she only called him Qiu Feng when we talked…) Emily, you were right – Yisha is amazing!
Ann and Erin (the mother-daughter travel mates I’ve already blogged about) kept talking about getting massages and Daddy decided I needed one, too. He even went down to the room and booked it for me. (Before you get too impressed with our financial situation, massages are dirt cheap in China!)
I headed down after dinner to find the massage room was actually a converted room in the hotel…in fact, it is the room directly beneath ours. I rang the doorbell and a cute, petite Chinese girl answered the door wearing pale pink silk pajamas. For a second, I thought I had interrupted her nap or something. Nope…she was the masseuse and that was her uniform. In the room there was also another young girl, a middle-aged woman, and an elderly grandmother. OK…the more the merrier, I guess.
The room had three massage tables. The masseuse led me to the table in the middle and motioned for me to lie down on my stomach. Since she made no attempts to offer me privacy to undress, I laid down fully clothed. Apparently, that’s exactly what she wanted. I’ve had many massages in my day, but I’ve never had a masseuse try so hard NOT to touch my skin. It was almost comical how careful she was while massaging my back not to touch my exposed arms. Since I was wearing shorts, I was quite looking forward to what she did to deal with THAT once she got to the lower part of my body. (She actually did touch my skin when she had to, in case you were wondering.)
Again, having had many massages in my day, I thought I knew what I had signed up for. I was wrong. This cute, petite Chinese girl beat the crap out of me!!! After a few minutes, she noticed me squirming and asked if the massage was OK. I chuckled and told her it was a bit too rough. She couldn’t understand what I was trying to get across to her, so the third time she asked me if it was OK, I just agreed that it was and decided to "grin and bear it." She spent about 20 minutes working on my back and I spent most of those 20 minutes trying not to cry or scream out in pain. I will say, though, that the head, hand, and foot portions of the massage were utter and pure heaven! After an hour of torture – I mean, massage – she offered to give me another hour…I politely declined, paid her, and ran away before she decided to kick me in the shins or something. Man, for a cute, petite girl she has some brutal hands!!
So that was our day. It’s currently 8PM and I think I’m gonna try to get some sleep. Daddy already beat me to that and is snoring loudly on his bed, fully clothed. (Grrrrrrr…)
We meet in the lobby at 9:40AM tomorrow morning and will be getting our kiddos at 10 o'clock. While it has felt like forever since we got our referral for Molly Jayne, suddenly I can’t believe it’s already time to meet her!! I seriously doubt I’ll be sleeping much tonight, even WITH Tylenol PM! Here are pictures of my kids (all THREE of them)…

…before I sign off. For those of you who pray – and I know many of my loyal blog readers do – please say an extra prayer for the seven scared kiddos who will be meeting our travel group tomorrow and getting their Forever Families.
…where we’re planning on spending lots of time during the next five days. After getting a bit unpacked, we headed to lunch at the noodle shop next door in the Holiday Inn Express (thanks, Midge, for the advice on that one!) and happened to run into Yisha in the Holiday Inn lobby. We asked her to join us for lunch and she did. It was nice to get some one-on-one time with her and get to see her personality.
I told Yisha I “knew” Emily…a fellow adoptive mom who had wonderful things to say about her. (By “knew,” I mean we’re Internet friends but have actually never met.) Yisha not only knew Emily and her family, she immediately knew who I was and asked about Qiu Feng. Qiu Feng?! That’s Carson’s Chinese name!! Apparently, she lives in Hefei and used to be the guide there before the Henan Province started doing international adoptions and she got moved to work here. She said she spent a lot of time checking on the kids at the Hefei orphanage when she worked there.
How did she know we were Carson’s family?! I have no idea, but it was so cool to talk about him with someone who knew him before we did. When she saw our family picture (it’s in the side bar of the blog near the top), she was blown away by how much Carson has changed. (Well, technically, she only called him Qiu Feng when we talked…) Emily, you were right – Yisha is amazing!
Ann and Erin (the mother-daughter travel mates I’ve already blogged about) kept talking about getting massages and Daddy decided I needed one, too. He even went down to the room and booked it for me. (Before you get too impressed with our financial situation, massages are dirt cheap in China!)
I headed down after dinner to find the massage room was actually a converted room in the hotel…in fact, it is the room directly beneath ours. I rang the doorbell and a cute, petite Chinese girl answered the door wearing pale pink silk pajamas. For a second, I thought I had interrupted her nap or something. Nope…she was the masseuse and that was her uniform. In the room there was also another young girl, a middle-aged woman, and an elderly grandmother. OK…the more the merrier, I guess.
The room had three massage tables. The masseuse led me to the table in the middle and motioned for me to lie down on my stomach. Since she made no attempts to offer me privacy to undress, I laid down fully clothed. Apparently, that’s exactly what she wanted. I’ve had many massages in my day, but I’ve never had a masseuse try so hard NOT to touch my skin. It was almost comical how careful she was while massaging my back not to touch my exposed arms. Since I was wearing shorts, I was quite looking forward to what she did to deal with THAT once she got to the lower part of my body. (She actually did touch my skin when she had to, in case you were wondering.)
Again, having had many massages in my day, I thought I knew what I had signed up for. I was wrong. This cute, petite Chinese girl beat the crap out of me!!! After a few minutes, she noticed me squirming and asked if the massage was OK. I chuckled and told her it was a bit too rough. She couldn’t understand what I was trying to get across to her, so the third time she asked me if it was OK, I just agreed that it was and decided to "grin and bear it." She spent about 20 minutes working on my back and I spent most of those 20 minutes trying not to cry or scream out in pain. I will say, though, that the head, hand, and foot portions of the massage were utter and pure heaven! After an hour of torture – I mean, massage – she offered to give me another hour…I politely declined, paid her, and ran away before she decided to kick me in the shins or something. Man, for a cute, petite girl she has some brutal hands!!
So that was our day. It’s currently 8PM and I think I’m gonna try to get some sleep. Daddy already beat me to that and is snoring loudly on his bed, fully clothed. (Grrrrrrr…)
We meet in the lobby at 9:40AM tomorrow morning and will be getting our kiddos at 10 o'clock. While it has felt like forever since we got our referral for Molly Jayne, suddenly I can’t believe it’s already time to meet her!! I seriously doubt I’ll be sleeping much tonight, even WITH Tylenol PM! Here are pictures of my kids (all THREE of them)…
Off to bed…Gotcha is only 14 hours away!!!!!!!
********************************************
Hi, it's Meggie! I want to let you all know that I am going to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning and blog Gotcha Day! So when you wake up, come over and check it out! My mom told me to wake up early, but I don't think she is expecting that early. (: Thanks for all the comments, and keep praying please! Have a good week. (:


10 comments:
Mommma -
See, I told you to pack the swimsuits! And you tried to argue with me, good thing I won the battle!
Also, loved that massage story! (: Very funny.
Remember to breathe tomorrow (or today?) and take LOTS of pictures.
Love & miss you!
teresa- i've been thinking of you guys non-stop today-- i will pray this evening as that is when you will get molly-- i get teary-eyed thinking of how long you have waited lookingat only pictures. yisha is awesome-- she is sooooo dear to us-- tell her we will see her next spring and that we miss her-- yisha is very down to earth and she will fight for you guys if neccesary- believe me, she fought for ben tooth and nail. also tell tasha and lily hi for me-- so excited for them and their blog isn't updated! love you and treasure the next 24 hours--!!!!
love em
ps-- that toy room is new- wasn't there in nove!!! the pool is great- but they make you wear a cap!
oh- pps-- meggie-- you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for posting early!!! i've been checking often!!!!!!!!!! you are such an awesome big sis:)
em
Oh I can't wait to seee Molly in your arms- Hope the lady didn't beat ya up to bad and you can carry Molly around a bit! That room looks wonderful! I will be praying!
I can't wait to read tomorrow's post! There will be extra prayers said in the Tarwater household tonight.
Adreanna
Wow! You will be getting Molly in just about 5 hours!!! Of course we will be praying! Sounds/looks like everything is going well. Your hotel is beautiful. The pool looks very inviting. Sounds like Yisha is more than capable of taking care of 7 families. Have a great time!
oh, i almost forgot -- thanks SO much, Meggie, for blogging and for getting up so early to do it! You are a great kid!
Your doing great Meggie! I bet you won't get much sleep tonight either, waiting to see those first pics!!
I hope you have a wonderful and smoothing meeting tomorrow Guys! I know I am going to check first thing in the morning!!
HUGS
Chelsie
I am so excited to read tomorrow's post!! I am actually tearing up just thinking about it. :-)
Meggie...you are a great kid to get up so early! I will do my best to check out the blog before heading to work!!!!
Kevin and Teresa (from Chris)
It's crazy to think it's finally here! Thanks for the request to pray for the children who are meeting their new families in a few hours. Admittedly, I wasn't thinking about that but I'm sure it is scary!
It seems like it was just yesterday when we were all gathered around the computer reading about Carson's Gotcha Day...my how time flies!
Shannon and I are so happy for your whole family. Thanks for allowing us to experience all this too! Can't wait for your next post!
love,
Chris (and Shannon)
ps - remember, my kids are reading this blog...no Speedo shots of Kevin in the pool.
Post a Comment