Say WHAT?!
Carson is an extremely intelligent kid. I mean, consider that he was fluent in Mandarin Chinese and, within the first eight months of being with us, mastered English well enough that even complete strangers understood him...let me tell ya, folks, I'm thoroughly impressed with this kid!! However, there are a few words that he says his own way -- "Carson-isms," if you will -- that no amount of practice will convince him to say correctly. I almost hate to correct him because they are so stinkin' cute!!
*He will help "peen up" his toys, when most kids merely "clean up."
*Tell him something he already knows and you'll get rolled eyes and a prompt "Dugg!" (He means, "Duh!")
*He likes to call Meggie a "cootie cat" (aka kitty cat). This has become his new way to bug her. Since her friends have been telling her since 8th grade that she looks like a cat -- don't ask 'cause I don't get it -- she gets REALLY irritated by this!
*When dressing up like Batman, he always wears his "tootie belt." Took me a while to figure out he mean "utility belt."
*After spending -- ahem -- quality time in the bathroom, he will proudly announce to all, "I poot today!" (Figure that one out on your own...)
*He helps Daddy clear snow using his favorite "shubble."
*The star of one of his favorite cartoons -- where he learns a lot of Spanish -- is a gal he calls "Doreea." Most of you know her as Dora, the Explorer.
*Speaking of Spanish, my dad introduced Carson to salsa music. He now insists his favorite kind of "noo-sick" is "Spam-ish noo-sick." (That was a two-for-one!)
*The star of another of his favorite cartoons is a guy he calls "Fun Bob." (Most of you know him as SpongeBob.)
*If any of Carson's toys fall apart or stop working correctly, he insists he can "fish stick." (There are times that Daddy can fish stick -- I mean, fix it -- too.) If he can't "fish stick," it probably needs new "bat-a-dees" (...or batteries...)
*In true teenage wannabe mode, when Carson gets frustrated with me, I get a disgusted, "Ah-eh-err." (Meggie just prefers to say, "Whatever.")
*Ask Carson a question and you often get this response: "I no no." ('Cause he doesn't know...)
*Carson is a boy, and Meggie is a "girr-rel." (Rhymes with "squirrel.")
*The star of Toy Story is a guy named "Hoody." (You would think that's what he calls Woody, but he calls Buzz this, too, for some reason.)
*His favorite superheros are Spiderman, Batman, "Sousa-man," and "The Honk." (Superman and The Hulk, we apologize.)
And a few musical "Carson-isms":
*"Fruit Selleck, yummy yummy." (I prefer fruit salad...)
*"Hot Cheeto, Hot Cheeto" (aka "Hot Potato" by The Wiggles)
And now the few "Meggie-isms" I can remember. Sorry, folks it's been a FEW years...
*Her favorite toddler game was "peek-a-goo."
*She insisted the hero in The Hunchback of Notre Dame was a guy named "Quasi-doe-doe."
*She always wanted to go on vacation to the beach and "the lotion." (I bet she would have enjoyed seeing the ocean, too...)
*"Heaven and mercy!" (She meant "heaven and earth"...we never quite understood that one, but she used to say it all the time!)


4 comments:
Teresa,
You probably don't remember me, but I am a mom from CCAI WC group. We brought home Timmy in January and he just turned 8.
Like Carson, he is fluent in English now and he doesn't know how to speak any Mandarin..sad but true.
Of all the words uses that you've written..Timmy also says girl like Carson.
My dad pointed to a snowman and asked what is that and Timmy called it a snow boy.
It is amazing how quickly they pick up English!
Darlene
ROTFL! I love the 'isms' that my children have said over the years. The only problem is is that currently Livie keeps asking her Aunt, "Aunt Jeri, can I see your titty?" That would be known as a KITTY to you and I! ;-) Hopefully Livie's Speech Therapy will help her soon!
Thank you I have had a bad week and hearing this makes me laugh like no one has this week you have brightened my day!
Very cute!! I have always thought I should write down what the kids say. I have not done that. Bummer! It would be great fun to read later!!
Post a Comment