Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Let the Games Begin!

While Carson thought Molly was "perfect" at the airport Friday evening, that feeling did NOT continue for long. He was very aggravated that she got so much attention at the airport and at dinner and that she had the house in an uproar with her screaming fit at midnight. He REALLY didn't like that she got to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bed. Sorry, Little Man, but this is a TOUGH night for Molly and we all have to adjust.

Thankfully, when Molly woke up on Saturday morning, she was all smiles...
...and decided it was time to discover all her new toys. (Unfortunately for me, every morning takes her a step backwards with Mama. She starts off distant and angry, but eventually warms up to me.)

We headed down to the family room to see...
...the awesome Sleeping Beauty vanity Grandma and Grandpa B. gave her...
...which Carson seemed incredibly jealous of as he watched her discover all the stuff. (Uh-oh...) This pic...
...was taken for Miss Trish (who we like to think of as Honorary Aunt Trish). Doesn't she look awesome in her Princess outfit?! She LOVES it!! Probably her favorite toy...
...is the Barbie dream house. Fortunately, we didn't even have to buy that...it was still in the basement, where it has been stored since Meggie graduated from the world of Barbies. Glad we didn't ditch any of the Megster's old toys!

Carson has for a long time refused to play with his toys, figuring if he doesn't play with 'em he won't have to clean 'em up at the end of the day. So, he ends up walking around the house all day, complaining and driving us all nuts because "There's nothing to do!" Interestingly...
...he's very willing to play with Molly's toys. He thinks he can play and she'll be stuck with clean-up. (Nice try, Little Man, but you're sadly mistaken. Clean-up is a team sport in THIS house!)

In an effort to keep me (and Molly) awake and try to re-set our internal clocks to our time zone (which is 12 hours behind China time), Meggie suggested we head out to do a bit of shopping. After all, Target cures all ills, ya know!

Meggie took this pic while I was driving...
...'cause we thought it was cute how they both lean their heads the same way in their seats as they fall alseep! (I just LOVE looking back in the van and seeing my Little Ones together!)

Everybody woke up in time to shop, so Meggie and the Littles (or the "Asian Invasion" as Meggie likes to call them) took part in a time-honored tradition in our family...
...of goofing around trying on silly sunglasses, then taking pictures of each other. (I know, we all REALLY need hobbies...)

We shopped about an hour or so at Target, then headed to the shoe store to get Molly some gym shoes. (She only had sandals and Crocs, neither of which are allowed to be worn at her Preschool due to safety issues on the playground equipment.)
Carson was EXHAUSTED from all the shopping, as you can tell...
...and Meggie got an impromptu workout tugging the Littles around the store! (She's such an actress...she totally didn't mind and was actually having a ball with them!) At one point...
...the Littles decided they needed a rest on their jet-lagged Mama! (I also didn't mind!) Carson spent a lot of Saturday making comments like, "You like Molly best!" or "I'm sad I'm not the baby anymore," so we are really making efforts to be completely fair with our attention...
...even when it means Meggie might end up with a hernia! Tonight, in fact, Molly accidentally ran into a door and hit her ear. As she came up to me for kisses to make it all better, Carson said, "Hold on, I need to go hit my ear so you'll kiss me." I assured him he can have kisses any time he wants them...silly Little Man.

Saturday evening, our friends Shannon and Chris brought us a wonderful gluten-free lasagna dinner (which Meggie loved, by the way!) but had prior plans and couldn't stay and eat with us. Sarah and Scott to the rescue! We invited them to come hang out (so Sarah and I could catch up and their kids could play with Carson and Molly) and we asked them to share dinner with us. I thought it was so cute that Selleck insisted the kids hold hands and pray...
...and while Molly wouldn't hold the boys' hands, she did close her eyes and sit quietly. Good girl! After dinner -- again, in an attempt to keep the jet laggers in the house awake until a normal bedtime -- we headed up to our neighborhood pool. The kids had so much fun...
...and I realized how hard it is to get all three kids smiling and looking in the same direction for a picture! (Come on, kiddos...I have a reputation of getting great shots of my photogenic kids. Help me out here!)

Molly actually is doing very well adjusting. After her screaming fit Friday night, we worried about how to get her into her bed at night. Meggie actually had the brilliant idea to make her bed feel more like a crib and maybe increase her security. So we purchased bed rails at Target...and it worked like a charm! She climbed into her bed Saturday evening and fell fast asleep in a matter of minutes! She has slept through the night in her own bed every night since! YES!!!

So, are Carson and Molly best friends? Uh, no. We have spent an inordinant amount of time trying to explain to Carson why things have changed and why it's so important for him to be a good big brother. (He has, sadly, also spent quite a bit of time in the Whiney Chair...)

I think this pic...
...is an EXCELLENT depiction of their current relationship. Notice how Carson is smiling, yet pointing a GUN at his sister! Molly, do you think it'll get better soon??
Gosh, I hope so, too!!

11 comments:

Ashley Hood said...

Teresa,
OMG, Carson reacted just the same way Austin did when we brought Addie Grace home! We went through some jealousy and then eventually it just evened out.
Hang in there.
Addie Grace also didn't care for me at all. I think it has to do with if they had a very secure attachment to a nanny or foster mom, or maybe their personality. Now, she adores me.
When you explained how Molly is slow to warm up to you in the morning, that was AG, then one morning, she just wanted me and me only! It will happen and then Mommy will be her favorite person in the world.
Praying for you.
Ashley Hood

Deb said...

Teresa,

I am loving reading your posts, I check every day to see how things are going. I cannot offer advice on attachment, as Lotus took to both of us (i think because she was young). I will tell you though, she has over the past several months become major Mommy's girl, she at times is clingy and wants to do everything mommy does. She went so far to tell Kevin, "I don't like daddy" He was crushed, she did later tell him she loves him. Hang in there, in due time you will become her bestest friend! Wishing you all the best.

Deb

McNew Family said...

It is awesome to see all 3 of the kiddos together now! We should be traveling in the next 4 months or so to bring our 2nd China blessing home - just 7 months older than her sister - I imagine we will have a bit of a jealousy factor going on here for awhile, too!

Anonymous said...

Teresa,

Aiden went through the exact same thing x2. It will get better. We still have our fair share of sibling rivalry, but they do have moments of playing nicely and Aiden will defend his brother and sister always. Easy to slip in to calling them "the Littles", huh? Tell Meggie watch that hernia!! They are no fun. Trust me, I know! Love seeing all three of your kiddos together!

Carrie said...

Hope things go smoothly soon!great pics!

Bill and Midge said...

Had to laugh reading about Carson - I'm sure all the sibling rivalry will disappear. (in like 20 years!) LOL

Glad you are settling in - hope the jetlag is better!

Heather said...

WOW, those kids look adorable (even if they're in the middle of love & war!). My Julia did this type of behavior when we brought Drew home but she has come around. There is still sibling rivalry (but show me siblings without that!) but they all know that we love them all! Meggie is such a great big sister!

Denise Grover Swank said...

He'll do okay, it's just going to take some time. I love the picture of them in their carseats. I remember coming home with Ryan and looking back at Emma and Ryan in their carseats, next to each other. My heart just swelled with joy. It still does. :)

wingepr said...

Asian Invasion, I love it! They are so cute. I am sure your house is a fun place to be.

Trish said...

She looks just how I imagined she would in her tutu. Thank you for that picture. Make sure you tell her all about Auntie Trish so when she gets here she will love me!

Let Molly know that her wand can overcome Carson's gun.

BTW, Austin is 12 and still a jealous pot at times.

Ash said...

My two exactly!!! and I am going for two more. Oh my goodness. God is good!
ash