Our Last Full Day in Zhengzhou…
…and it was a good one! Since we opted out of the museum tour, we had to make our own fun today. No problem! Miss Molly plays very nicely with her toys, so we spent the morning in the room where she played…
…and calling Meggie and Carson on her pink (of course) cell phone!
We borrowed John and Christie’s camera and were able to see the kids on Skype and talked for over an hour. It was wonderful to see their faces and for them to get to see Molly in action! Later in the day, Molly and Daddy went with John to the supermarket to buy us another camera…and it works!! YES!!
After Molly’s meltdown, she slept right through lunch, so we again had peanut butter crackers in the room. For dinner, we wanted to try something different. We decided to go to the New Island Coffee House with Ann, Erin, and Lily Ming. The food was great and reasonably priced and the meal was definitely an experience to be remembered. The highlights included being led past numerous empty booths and tables to a room way in the back of the restaurant, where we had our own private dining room…
Molly was enjoying the ambience of the place…
After dinner, we decided to head out to the park just down the street from our hotel. Tasha and Jim (with Lily and Aaron) and Mark and Christina (with Olivia and Grant) went with us. It was a great way to spend the evening. This park was large and elaborate and – to the dismay of the kids – the playground area was buried way in the back. We tried to make the trip back to the playground fun. Good thing we brought bubbles…
When we got to the playground, it looked really nice…from a distance. There was an enclosed area with various activities (rides, slides, a trampoline) and it only cost 10 RMB per child to get enter…which is about $1.49 in U.S. money. The kids DID have fun, but the parents who went in with the little kids said it was filthy and disgusting. Oh, well…sometimes you gotta get dirty to have fun! There was also a huge (and disgustingly filthy) bounce house across from the enclosed play area. Thankfully, they deflated it almost as soon as we arrived.
There was a group about 50 yards away doing tai chi in the park…
We headed back to the hotel and, after bath time, Molly got the second half of her spa treatment…
As I started working on this blog post, I had an unexpected surprise…
Molly is responding to her American name (we only use Yu Han when we need to catch her attention emergently, like in a safety situation), and can say “Meggie” and “Carson.” She says a few phrases in English: “come awn” (aka “come on”) when she wants us to hurry, “up, please” when she wants Daddy to pick her up and carry her, “love you,” “wait,” “no,” and “sit down” are the ones that come easily to mind. She follows directions very well…well enough that a few people have been fooled into thinking that she speaks English. She is the life of every party with her devious sense of humor and her hearty laugh.
So, how was that for a day of rest? I think we did a bang-up job of making it fun…and we are one day closer to coming home. Tomorrow we leave the hotel around 2:30PM to head to the airport. We should be arriving in Guangzhou around 7PM tomorrow night. White Swan Hotel, here we come!
Closing pics tonight are of the kids goofing around on hotel beds…


12 comments:
We had a similar experience at the New Island Coffee House but agreed as well that it was great food and a fun experience! I wish I could remember how many waitresses we got on our first visit but we saw every one of them I think.:) Love seeing Molly blowing those toesies dry and cuddling up in mommy's lap!!! Isn't it just amazing?! Hope your last moments in Zhengzhou are memorable and you have a smooth transfer to Guangzhou! Heather (FL)
Oh my goodness! The picture of Molly looking at the drink menu reminds me soo much of Emmy Xiang. Sometimes she'll just pop her leg up in the air, sit it on the kitchen counter and start talking to Mom... those girls are flexible! I'd bet they'd both be good at gymnastics, but EX could have a harder time since her belly gets in the way! :) Just kidding. :)
Enjoy your time in China... we wish we were there!
Love,
Katie :)
I love seeing how happy Miss Molly is with you guys!
Big congrats on finally getting Molly. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures in China (I live here, so it all rings true). Enjoy the trip and your time with your new daughter.
I'm glad you went to the New Island Coffee House. It is a little tricky because none of them speak English. We had some adventures with that there, too. We learned to ask for "white Coke" if we wanted Sprite. Looks like Molly is doing great. The crying is probably a positive thing, really, as she processes this whole new world.
Wonderful, Wonderful, there is no other words to describe my joy for your family!!!
Blessing on journey...loving every minute and meal and spa treatment and bathroom oopsie... love it. Thanks Meggie, you are a great blog poster for the family & mom you are a great story teller... I feel like I am in the room with you... or at least down the hall.:o)
Love,
ash
HUHHH-do you wnat to come home now? I think Guangzhou helped me feel a bit more at home. Wow I love the pictures. She is a doll!
I am so glad you guys were able to video skype te kids, it made a big difference whe we were in china to be able to see and hear Austin.
I am glad to see that Miss Molly already appreciates the finer things in life: a mani/pedi, wine list, bubbles, everything pink.She has the princess thing down pat.
Enjoy your flight and time on the island, have a beer for me at Lucy's
I am so glad you guys were able to video skype te kids, it made a big difference whe we were in china to be able to see and hear Austin.
I am glad to see that Miss Molly already appreciates the finer things in life: a mani/pedi, wine list, bubbles, everything pink.She has the princess thing down pat.
Enjoy your flight and time on the island, have a beer for me at Lucy's
Looks like this trip is going SO well, and little Molly is Berter all the way! Love the updates and pics, keep 'em coming. I'll be getting jealous when I see those White Swan pics!
Congrats on your new little girl!! I'm sure she'll be a wonderful addition to your family. What a sweetie!
I can't beleive you didn't join in the Tai Chi since you are such an expert! Remember, I have film to prove it!
Can't wait til you get home!
g
Post a Comment