Monday, August 10, 2009

The Pearl Market, McDonalds, Starbucks, and the Pool…

Doesn’t sound like a bad day, does it?! Our Monday started off a bit lazy…
…now that Molly has discovered the joys of cartoon movies! (She was watching “Monsters, Inc.” in this shot, but we also watched “The Swan Princess” and “A Bug’s Life” today. I think she’s hooked!)

We boarded the White Swan shuttle bus around 10AM, and Molly was quite excited…

…that Mia and Olivia let her sit with them in the big girls’ seat! (Doesn’t she look proud of herself?)

When we got out of the shuttle bus, it appeared we were in Guangzhou’s version of Times Square…
…complete with entertainment…
…as this pop star wanna-be entertained the crowds as they passed. We headed into the mall…
…which was huge and not well air-conditioned, and went to our first stop…
…where we got a lesson on how to judge the quality of a pearl…
…and then got to watch the girls in the store…
…as they tied knots between each pearl and made necklaces and bracelets to order. I truly enjoyed the experience…
…and did end up buying some gifts for my girls while we were there! Considering the enormous selection this place had, I showed tremendous restraint to only buy the few things that fit into that small bag. They had beautiful pearl rings, but I resisted the temptation. (It was tough…)

After shopping, we decided our kiddos needed to visit an American staple…
…so we had lunch at a very crowded McDonald’s. Molly and Olivia were in a silly mood, for sure. (Sorry, Taylor and Rachel, but they didn’t have green bean pies this time! We were gonna get one and eat it just for you girls!!)

After lunch and a quick nap, we headed back to the clinic where all of the kids in our travel group got the “all clear” on their TB tests! Yes!! Walking back from the clinic, I spotted a familiar sight…
…and couldn’t resist getting a Mocha Light Frappucino with raspberry syrup. Ahhhhhh…

We did a little window shopping on the way back to the White Swan and Molly (our little shoe addict) just couldn’t live without these…
…which we were glad to buy (they cost about $2 in U.S. money) to get her feet out of those smelly pink Crocs once in a while.

We got back to the hotel and had some time to kill before dinner. Since the TB test results had been read, the kids could finally swim…so we headed to the pool. While Molly was not a big fan of the pool in Zhengzhou…
…it didn’t take her long to decide that swimming really IS fun! They were in the pool for almost two hours!

After dinner at Lucy’s with a bunch of our travel mates, Daddy hung out with Jim and John…
…and Molly and I headed back to the room for bath time. Due to their instant bond, Daddy had been bathing Molly every night. Last night I decided it was time for me to take it over…and it has done wonders for our bonding! Today, she started whispering secrets in my ear and she even asked me to pick her up when we were walking back from Lucy’s. And a little bit ago, when Daddy was chasing her around the room, she ran over to me for a protective hug. LOVE IT!!

Of course, she will only come to me on HER terms…and Daddy is still her first choice


…but, really, they do have a lot in common!!

Tonight we’ll have a pool theme for our closing pics…

…and I’m off to bed. Four more sleeps ‘til our family is reunited!

Next up: Red Couch photos!

17 comments:

Trish said...

WhoooHooooo for a negative TB test! I have been holding my breath on that one. Do you think you could bring me back one of those toddler beds. I actually looked for one here, a great solution for a tosser and turner.

I am glad you made it to the pearl market this time, can't wait to see your finds.
Trish

Denise Grover Swank said...

I'm so glad that the TB results were okay!!! Whew, you're in the home stretch now!

Sorry I haven't been commenting. I've been reading, but usually on the fly. I have to say I'm VERY impressed with your theme endings.

Emily said...

have loved seeing your journey-- can't wait to see you all together-- will pray for a good SANE SLEEP FILLED flight!

em

Erin Jackson said...

Looks like everything is going so well! I can't wait to meet Molly! Your stories are the highlight of my work days! I can't wait to do photos of you guys too, that is, if you'll let me!

Lou Ellen said...

I have been holding my breath on that TB test, also. There was a family who just had to leave their little one there due to TB. I am SO thankful you are past all that!

Carrie said...

I am so happy that came back negative! What a blessing!

Kelley and Dwaine said...

Teresa,

I haven't been checking your blog lately but finally today I had a chance. I am so happy for you and your sweet family! Your new daughter is precious and I am sure that you will all be so happy! Congratulations!

Kelley Gelnar

tracey said...

I loved reading your story. It seems Molly is adjusting well. She is adorable. I loved the pics of China I can't wait to get there to pick up our little one. Hopefully in September.

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

Praise God that the TB test came back fine. :) You look like you are enjoying yourselves inspite of the heat. Keep shopping, wish I could do some myself. Never enough cute little China shoes for a girl. :)

AS for the toddler bed, we found one at Walmart on line and have used it for Emma for almost a year. It's great!!

The Veggie Vet Tec said...

SO FLIPPIN CUTE!!! It just makes my heart smile that she is bonding so well! Have fun the last few days in China!

HUGS
Chelsie, Alan, and Max

Betsy said...

She is gorgeous! You all look like you are having a wonderful time.Congrats on the TB test. Safe and happy travels home! Betsy (Mom to Jack from Hefei and his two older sisters from Guangdong province)

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

So glad to hear about the TB. Why could they not swim? Is that a Chinese thing? I give them and kids swim...We received photos of our son today and are thrilled. I have to read you later entries to see if you went to the orphanage! So happy for you!!!!

Tracey Gehrke said...

It looks like you all are doing so well. I am glad Molly is adjusting. Just a little FYI--there is a nicer pool at the White Swan. Walk through the bushes at the end of the lap pool and you will see it. It even has a baby pool. Most of the adoptive families hang out there. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
Tracey Gehrke

ww said...

Love those photos of daddy and Molly relaxing and happy to hear that Molly is really warming up to mom. Thanks for being so good with the updates, Wendy

Heather said...

So happy to hear she's coming to you more:) Also, congrats on the TB test and swimming! Isn't the pearl shopping just to die for?! I got just two sets (necklace w/earrings for me & princess) but it was so hard to walk away... excited to see you all together soon!!!

Nicole said...

YAY for the negative TB test!!!!!!! NOT looking forward to that part of our trip to get Courtney! :)

hugs!!!
Nicole

Unknown said...

So happy for your family!!!! She looks so happy. We know the feelings what happened the first three days with Noah..